Friday, February 11, 2005

Pen-Pal letter 1

I'll be sending pen-pal letters to a service member or two. I figure that since you can't shut me up I may as well put it to some good use. This is the first name that Billy Budd has given me. If you're interested in doing ths as well you can e-mail him here or at his website, American Dinosaur.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Dear Paul,

Before I even say hello and introduce myself I'd like to say thank you for everything you and your fellow Marines, Soldiers, sailors and Airmen are doing over there in the Middle East. You are carrying on in a long line of proud patriots that have done whatever it takes to defend freedom. If you come home through Chesapeake, VA you will definitely have a beer waiting for you.

Anyway, I was given your name through the guy that just sent you your care package, Mike. From what I understand he’s been sending out a care package a week. I hope you and your unit are getting some use out of them. If there’s anything else you’d like in your care packages, other than a 5’ 6” blonde, I’ll see what I can do to get it to Mike or send it myself.

Something I need to tell you before I go on much further is that I’ll be putting all of our letters on a web log to try and get more people to grab you guys for pen pals. If you don’t want the world to see what you have to say just let me know and I’ll take everything offline. There’s no need to worry about anything though. The only point of reference I’ll ever use is your first name. I’ll even try to sensor tactical info if you’ve got a good juicy story to tell.

Now about me: My name’s Jeremy Bol. I’m a former Cryptologist Sailor of 10 years who got out when I started becoming part of the “management team”. I’m 30 years old, whose got one seven year old hyperactive son and a really nice Korean wife. (Unless you piss her off, then all hell breaks loose.) Currently, I do network security work with Raytheon for the NMCI (Navy and Marine Corps Intranet). Yes, I’m a computer geek. If anyone in your unit has family members with computer problems I’d be happy to help. All they have to do is call.

The only thing I can really think of to talk to you about is the super bowl. You may have already seen it but I’m going to ramble on about it anyway, just in case you haven’t. As for the game itself, it was close all the way to the end. At the end of it all the Patriots ended up on top of the Eagles by a field goal. If it had been me picking the MVP it would have been McNabb from the Eagles. He threw three critical interceptions and did not bring his “A” game. Hell, he didn’t even bring his “B” game.

As for the half time show, it sucked. The whole thing was Paul McCartney sitting at a piano banging away on old Beatles tunes. It was no star-studded affair. No guest appearances. It was just Paul in his t-shirt banging away on a piano. He didn’t even dress up for the event! I would have preferred the chance to see Janet’s other breast than listen to a Beatles concert…again.

The commercials were okay. The only racy one was by GoDaddy.com, a domain name reseller. They did a Janet spoof that kind of torqued a lot of people off. The only really spectacular commercial was by Anhauser Busch. They did a salute to the troops that made everyone teary eyed. In addition to the super bowl salute they went ahead and made all of their amusement parks free of charge for the military. That covers you and up to three dependents to go to any Busch Gardens or Sea World location until December 31st for free. Hopefully, you’ll be able to get back by then.

Since this is my first letter, I’ll leave it at that. Let me know what your interests are so I can try and focus my letters towards them. It’s all about you guys right now and the people back home want to do anything and everything we can to help.

God Bless and Semper Fidelis,

Jeremy H. Bol
Jeremy.bol@gmail.com
http://americanwarmonger.blogspot.com

No comments: