Sunday, December 12, 2004

An impulse buy

Running by 7-Eleven to pick up a newspaper I succumbed to an impulse buy. They were sitting right up on the counter and I figured since everyone else was wearing some sort of yellow, green, blue, purple, rainbow, etc. wristband for whatever charity I figured it wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Well, Here’s the impulse buy:



The text reads “SUPPORT OUR TROOPS”. It cost me 3 bucks (2.99) and upon looking at the inside I noticed it was made in China. It is made of 100% Synthetic Silicone and no part of the purchase price is tax deductible. The following is what is written on the back of the package:
7-Eleven is proud to support our U.S. troops. 7-Eleven will donate $1 to the United Service Organization (USO) from the purchase price of each wrist band sold. Your purchase will help the USO deliver its special brand of comfort, morale and recreational programming to service members and their families. To learn more about the USO, please visit http://www.uso.org/. Thank-you.

I’m not saying this is an example of a bad deal. A lot of charitable organizations offer a much worse return on investment than 33% (1$ per 3$ used). In fact, the military uses a book of charitable investments every year and few of them every reach 50%. 33% is considered pretty darn good. I’d still like to see them be American made but we cant have everything now can we?

I’m contemplating sending these out as gifts to people that I’d normally give just a card to. Three bucks a pop isn’t really that bad of a deal. Some cards cost more than that. So remember the next time you pass a 7-Eleven this particular charitable item is more than likely sitting on the front counter. Go pick some up and send them to all of your blog buddies.

NOTE: Light blogging today. I've got 1 1/2 final exams to do tonight. I've also got a four page essay on VOIP (Voice Over IP) to complete by Wednesday. Wish me luck!

No comments: