Friday, November 19, 2004

I’m A Goofy Goober, YEAH!

Okay, I saw the Spongebob Squarepants flick. It wasn’t too bad. One thing that was very obvious in the film was that it tried to cater to all of its audiences. Kid jokes, young teens, late teens, college kids, parents and I think there might have been a few jokes for the gays as well. What else would you call Patrick holding a Spongebob flag with his buttocks cheeks?

As with any movie that tries to cater to the world, it doesn’t really complete the job. Yes, I laughed but it wasn’t quite the same as the regular show. Where it really showed was when they tried to capture the young teen audience. Giving Patrick Star a crush on the daughter of King Neptune sort of screwed the whole thing up for me. I know the teen audience probably loved the crush but I felt it was out of place. The only insinuations in the regular series are much more subtle and tastefully done. It was rather blatant.

Something that wasn’t in the movie was Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. They were somehow absent from the film. It didn’t really matter much though; the only two static characters were Spongebob and Patrick.

If I were to give a rating to this movie I’d put it at a 7 out of 10.

No comments: